Sunday, May 22, 2011

King Kong

 

King Kong was on television today so I thought I'd use it for Quest on Screen...

Some, like myself, are old enough to remember the original 1933 King Kong starring Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong and Bruce Cabot.

 

As I look back it seems strange to me that I was so scared watching this black and white movie and yet still managed to cry at the end, even though I was very young!

 

Knowing all the new technology it seems pretty amazing that they did so well making it back in 1933!

But the most recent 2005 version, Peter Jackson, makes King Kong look totally real!  Of all the versions after the Original this is the only one that I like.

..Keeping with the original story the Beast falls in love with Beauty.

But none of it would have been as good as it was if it wasn't for Andy Serkis...

..who, once again, dawned the magic computer dots and acted out all the moves for Kong.

... as if that wasn't enough Andy also played the cook on the ship but gets killed fairly early on. (I guess that was to free him up to be Kong!)

Beauty and the Beast is such a classic tale.  The beast being to big and ugly and beauty finding all the inner beauty to fall for him anyway.

Of course King Kong doesn't get to keep beauty in the end but the love story is there non the less.  ...and when Kong dies at the end I dutifully cried.  Why is it even when I know the ending I keep hoping for a happy ending?! duh! 

No comments: